The other, most obvious feature is the shared simplicity of their designs. The only features are the artist's name and possibly a photograph on the front. I think this reflects the indie genre as the music is the most important aspect, not the band image. The back covers are even more basic in design, they consist of no imagery, only a clear tracklist. The song titles are distinct as they are written in bold font (white against a black background or vice versa.)
Out of all three digipaks, I favour the Arctic monkeys cover, this is because of the use of photography. The image is of a friend of a band- Chris McClure- this opposes the concept of 'star image' as the artists are not promoting themselves. This reflects the rebellious nature of the band as they are opposing the conventions of digipaks. I like the fact that the front and back cover photographs are related, they were quite clearly taken in the same sitting and almost give an insight into the 'backstage life' of the band. The image used on the actual CD continues this 'behind- the scenes' idea, as it shows the bands chain-smoking habit and the 'rock lifestyle'.
Inspired by the Arctic Monkeys, I will definitely include a CD design for my own digipak as I think it is an extra opportunity to present the band and the music.
![]() |
Arctic Monkeys- Whatever They Say I am, That's What I'm Not |
![]() |
| The XX- Coexist |
| The 1975- The 1975 |



No comments:
Post a Comment